Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"FM" Stands for "Fecal Matter"



Home- done recordings done the right way.
    "The radio sucks."

     This is one of my favorite statements. Unfortunately, it really annoys my wifey, who loves the radio. She often responds with, "You just say that because you feel like you have to," or something to that effect.

     Not at all. I really just hate the radio.

     People ask me all the time if I've heard that "new song on the radio." My answer is always "no." They look at me like I'm an alien, and then I look at them like they're an idiot. The radio is for sucks.

     Pop music is awful. It's not real. Good songs can be played on the radio. Sara Bareilles is a guilty pleasure of mine.
     
     But let's look at an example of radio vs. not: this very instant, I'm listening to Rise Against. Woah woah woah, don't get any crazy ideas, this album is from 2001.
     
     'The Unraveling' is Rise Against's best album. But you don't hear any of it on the radio. This is the Rise Against I know and love. I used to be front row, screaming face- to- face with Tim.

     The radio gods hate good music. When they think Rise Against, they supply us with this. Sigh... it's just not the same. So you radio listeners enjoy your version of Rise Against, and I'll enjoy mine. If only we could find a way to separate the tours...

     [Fun fact: I once shared the stage with the bald dude in video number two- back when he was in this way more awesome band. I blame the radio.]

     This is a topic that I wish I could spend more time on, but thanks to finals being on my heels like the hounds of hell after a milkbone, this is going to be short. Let's explore something beautiful.

     Local music.
     
     Underground music is honest. It's raw. There's no overproducing. The song is exactly what the artist wanted it to be, and it says what they want it to.

     Pop music is a media mess. Pop music isn't designed to do anything except make money. How? By taking advantage of you. They overproduce, underwrite, and use menial talent to trick you into thinking it's good.
     

     Here's a comparison: underground music is momma's home cooking. Pop music is McDonald's.

     Some people like McDonald's. Those people are too lazy to go anywhere else, and they get it because it's cheap. I've found that McDonald's lovers are also the same ones that love pop music. 


     Makes sense. Crap in your mouth, crap in your ears.

     You don't need fancy equipment to make good music. You just need people with a desire to create.

     Who needs a fancy executive, a manager, or contracts? How about three chords and an opinion? Good enough for me.




    

     I'm currently in the middle of recording a full- length album. We're doing it in a friend's basement. His name is Andy and he's going to school to learn how to record and all that jazz.

     Andy does a great job. He's producing this album exactly how I would want anybody to do it- simply let us do our thing, and offer suggestions along the way. He's extremely supportive and very talented with the whole process.

     This is completely independent- nobody's making us do it. We're definitely not making money doing it. We don't intend to. But we love our music and want it recorded- we want to share it with those around us.

     We want to share how we feel about the world. Isn't that what music is?

     "Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy. Grab my glasses, I'm out the door, I'm gonna hit this city. Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack, 'cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back..." - Ke$ha. McDonald's.

      Independent music has no rules or standards. Pop music has all kinds of rules it has to meet- it's censored for content. 



     Real music has never been about money. All the greatest musicians in the world would have continued to make music throughout their lives even if they never saw a dime for their work.

     Some still do. I've seen incredible musicians sleep on the floors of strangers' homes because they didn't have money for hotels while touring. That's rock'n'roll.

     It's amazing to me that an underground music scene even exists! On any given weekend, I can inform you of local shows. Local music is so beautiful! Consider this:

     Local music is a bunch of kids getting together to make and share music. No adults are telling them to do it. Nobody's telling them how to do it; t
hey just figure it out! 


     In our local scene, we've got kids making venues, people promoting, recording, even making magazines! 


     The local music scene even has it's own journalism! That astounds me.

     All this because kids love honest music



     T- shirts are made, tours are booked, and artwork is made. I have a shoe box full of fliers for local shows.   

     If you can't hang out with a band before or after their concerts, they don't care about you. But they sure do care about your wallet. Don't worry, they do take American Express.

     So does McDonald's. 



     I can't tell you how many great friends I've made through the years in underground music. I've got journals packed with fun stories about my favorite bands- stories no pop artists would dare to reproduce. 


     Let's see U2 walk around town with their fans for hours on end before a show. It's not going to happen, because they know they're getting paid regardless of their fan interaction. The radio does all of that work for them.

     Like I said, I wish I had more time for this. Point is, try to turn off your radio. There's an unbelievable amount of good music out there, waiting for you to discover it. But the FM tuner will never let you near it; that thing is like a dementor for music. Sucks the soul right out of it.

     I haven't listened to the radio since... what, 2003? Something like that. And I couldn't be more proud.

Stay tuned for more information on the upcoming album. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment